Lamb and Rice Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
It’s time for another yummy recipe by Cooker Buzz, today we will be showing you how to make Lamb and Rice Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.
I love lamb burgers and lamb meatballs, so it’s no surprise that I love lamb-stuffed cabbage rolls, and I’m happy to report that these particular ‘lambage rolls’ were the best non-beef version yet!
- prep: 30 mins
- cook: 1 hr 45 mins
- additional: 30 mins
- total: 2 hrs 45 mins
- Servings: 4
- Yield: 8 cabbage rolls
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup packed chopped Italian parsley (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon dried currants
- 1 head cabbage
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ onion, sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley (Optional)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; heat oil in the melted butter. Cook and stir 1/2 diced onion until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and oregano. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine lamb, rice, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 cup parsley, almonds, and currants in a large bowl. Add cooled onion mixture and mix until combined. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Remove the core from the cabbage head and place the head in the boiling water. Cover and simmer until leaves begin to fall away, about 5 minutes. Remove the 2 outer layers of leaves to a paper towel-lined plate, cover and continue cooking for 1 to 2 more minutes. Remove the remaining large leaves to the plate. You will need 8 large and about 7 smaller leaves.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Take 1 cabbage leaf and remove the root end. Place about 1/2 cup of the lamb mixture toward the bottom edge of the cabbage leaf and roll into a log. Repeat with remaining lamb mixture and 7 more large leaves to create 8 cabbage rolls.
- Line the bottom of a large casserole dish or Dutch oven with 4 or 5 smaller cabbage leaves. Place cabbage rolls on top; season with salt and black pepper. Add bay leaves and tomato puree. Pour in chicken broth. Sprinkle 1/2 sliced onion over the top and cover with 3 or 4 more cabbage leaves. Cover casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the lamb is tender and the rice is cooked, 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Serve with pan juices poured over the top and garnished with feta cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- 740: calories
- protein: 31.5g
- carbohydrates: 69.6g
- fat: 38.6g
- cholesterol: 119.1mg
- sodium: 2564.2mg.
This recipe is sure to get the approval of your guests. Make sure to share this Lamb and Rice Stuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe with your friends and family, they will be sure to thank you for it!