Southern-Style Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Welcome friends, we have a perfect recipe by Cooker Buzz, today we will be showing you how to make Southern-Style Buttermilk Fried Chicken.
This buttermilk fried chicken is a down-home recipe I have used for years, and I thought I would share it. The buttermilk marinade is terrific and is such a comfort food. This is not a recipe that can be done quickly, but the wait is well worth it!
- prep: 30 mins
- cook: 30 mins
- additional: 2 hrs
- total: 3 hrs
- Servings: 8
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 5 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Whisk together buttermilk, mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a bowl; pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken pieces, coat with marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours.
- Combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in another resealable plastic bag; shake to mix thoroughly.
- Working with one piece at a time, transfer marinated chicken to the dry ingredient bag, seal the bag, and shake well to coat. After all chicken pieces are coated, repeat the process by dipping them in buttermilk marinade and shaking in the dry coating again.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Fry chicken in batches in hot oil, turning chicken occasionally, until golden brown and juices run clear. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the meat should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- 480: calories
- protein: 29.2g
- carbohydrates: 29.4g
- fat: 26.7g
- cholesterol: 77.1mg
- sodium: 650.4mg.
We hope that you enjoyed this recipe as much as we did. Make sure to share this Southern-Style Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe with your friends and family, so they can enjoy it too.